Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Private PIlot Training, Your Flight Instructor

Your Flight instructor is the person who is going to be teaching you in the airplane. This is one area you will want to research and ask around the community before you start flying. I have seen many people waste thousands of dollars on their Private Pilot Training because they hired the wrong instructor.

The training schedule you have is another very important factor in how much you are going to spend on a Private Pilot License. I have seen many articles and posts on forums that state you can do it in one lesson per week. The norm out there is twice a week. I would not do any less than twice a week. If you can I would try and make some arrangements with work and see if you can fly more than that.

I personally taught students at two lessons per week for years. It does work out ok but it will take you at least 15 weeks to get done. At the time I was doing this I was flying with about 14-16 students at a time. This can be a realistic schedule if you have a dedicated instructor.

Recently I have changed my ways and have put all students on a semi accelerated schedule. I fly with every student at least 4 lessons per week. This new schedule works very good. Now I only fly with about 4 students at a time and they are getting done in about 6 weeks or so.

This is not a totally accelerated schedule and gives the student time for the other things in life.

Factors you must consider

Instructor Availability: This is a very important factor in your Pilot Training. You will want to find out how many students your instructor has. You will also want to find out what the instructors goals are and why they are flight instructing. In many cases you will find that they just want to go to the airlines. You need to make sure you start with an instructor that will commit to finishing your training otherwise you will end up switching instructor and spending a lot more money.

Aircraft Availability: The aircraft availability is another factor that you must consider. There are schools out there that you can't schedule anything less than a month ahead of time. You want to make sure you can schedule the airplane out on the time and days that fit your schedule.

I don't start a new student until I can commit to them and finish their training. Once we set a schedule I reserve the airplane on the same day and time for every lesson in my syllabus. That way the student can plan and know when he/she is flying.

Tomorrows Installment is Your Pre Solo Maneuvers

Hope To See You In the Sky

Airfreddy

Airfreddy's Private Pilot Manual

Airfreddy's Private Pilot E Course

Airfreddy's Flying Stories

Airfreddy's Flight Training Site

No comments: